Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Updates on a Dress (a wedding dress to be exact!)

As most of you know I have been working on a wedding dress for a friend. Since a wedding dress is one of the most important garments a woman will ever wear I decided to make a fabric mock up for fitting purposes before I actually start on the real thing. 
I used material that I can across cheap (and a lot of) so don't mind the print on the fabric it has little to nothing to do with the actual dress! Also when I create fabric mock ups like I have done here I don't actually sew the seams I use masking tape. .  The reason for this tactic is because I have a very strong aversion to seam rippers! This fabric mock up will be used for fitting purposes so that the final dress will only need slight alterations that can be done within the week to 10 days leading up to the wedding.
This has honestly been one of the most exciting projects I have worked on in a long time, not that every project isn't exciting, but sometimes I get the chance to be involved in something really special and the feeling that comes with that is almost as exciting as getting to wear such a special dress.
I will also be creating a mini version of Brandy's dress for her daughter Adriana to wear during the ceremony where she will be acting as a flower girl.  Of course I will have to make a few slight changes to Adrianna's dress to account for things like age appropriateness and fabric availability but since she's one of the easiest people I sew for I'm really not worried!
I would love some feed back and input regarding the dress. I will post pictures of the original sketch, the pattern I am modifying to use for the dress and of course both the mock up of the dress and the finished product.
Happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. The masking tape trick is so smart! I love how you can make a pattern your own. It's got to be such a special feeling to know that you customized a design for your friends big day- a dress and moments she'll never forget. You're awesome friend!

    ReplyDelete