Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Studio Make Over part 1

As I mentioned in an earlier post I have decided to rearrange some things and move my studio downstairs into one of out extra bedrooms.  Oh my I had no idea how much STUFF I had. So far we have only gotten the really heavy furniture moved. (Hubby got ambitious and decided it had to be done RIGHT THEN), most of the fabric somewhat organized and about 1/2 of my pattern collection organized and accounted for.
The moving the furniture part wasn't to bad, found a really great program on Pinterest that allows you to put in a room dimensions and the dimensions of your furniture and more everything around electronically. I'm sure James was very thankful for this since I am notorious for the statement...."put it over there, oh wait I don't like that, can you move it over here..." and this allowed me to do that without him ever having to touch anything.The organizing of the fabric is taking a little longer, but that's mostly because I'm trying to develop some sort of system for how I store it so that I can find what I need without tearing an entire bin or drawer apart, so far this isn't working all that well for me but in time it will all get to where I need it to be (I hope). Organizing the patterns is a whole different nightmare.  I have a HIGE pattern library, but because I often mix and match pieces between several patterns to create one garment I end up with random pieces piled up on my cut table so before I could more said table I had to attempt to get all of the pattern pieces matched up with their correct envelope. I'm about half way through my patterns and about 3/4's of the way through the actual move. Keep checking back and I'll try and post some pictures not to mention keep everyone updated on my progress. Oh yeah and on the positive side I have managed to get all of my studio art work hung up. My pin board is by the door where I can keep track of current projects and my Mila Bowman creation is hanging proudly over my fabric storage cupboard. I'm hoping having it there will serve as a a source of inspiration for me when I'm digging through my fabric trying to find the perfect piece!

Off the topic of rearranging, I have also completed work on the muslin template for the wedding dress I am currently working on. The bride is coming for her first fitting on Friday. Hopefully everything works out well and we have no major fit issues so that I can start on the finished product next week.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen fabric organized in one of those sweater shelf organizers you can hang from your closet rack. And what about sorting your patters in a pocket shoe door hanger? Do you have that room organizer pinned on one of your boards? I need it!

    So proud to hear that my collage is adorning your wall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the room rearrange program is on my for the home board.
    I used to use a shoe organizer for my patterns but now I have to many. I cleaned out two drawers in one of my rubbermaid organizers and that seems to be working to keep track of my most used patterns
    As for fabric storage a little organization went along way. Now if I could just stay away from the fabric stores

    ReplyDelete