Sunday, April 21, 2013

Finishing What you Start

Get ready for it the second blog post in less than a week.  I must have to much time on my hands or something!

Over the last week or so I have been attempting to clean and organize not only my studio but the space upstairs in the loft that was formerly my studio.  The new studio is actually in pretty good shape, but the old space is still kind of a mess.  I attribute some of this to the fact that I was at the very beginning of the wedding project when I moved and because that project overwhelmed my creative life for so long I got side tracked from finishing anything else.  I have also been working a lot more than normal at my regular job which has meant less studio time, combine that with my Muse's cute little decision to take an unscheduled vacation and I haven't gotten much done.

Last week I actually had a studio day(granted it was cute short by a trip to Michael's and to the fabric store, but that's neither here nor there) and part of my time was spent going through the mess in the loft.  I really didn't make much of a dent, but I did make a discovery, I found at least 3 different projects that had been started and then put aside and never finished.  From talking to my artist friends I know that this is something that is fairly common for them, they start a project and then abandon it because it's taking a different direction than what they are looking for, but thus is something new for me, I'm usually pretty good at following a project all the way through to the end even if I'm unhappy with the out come, I guess these pieces somehow slipped through the cracks! Over the last week I have made a point of finishing 2 of them and maybe next week I will feel like finishing the others, all one needs is a zipper and a place to wear it, so maybe that one will be next. I'm pretty sure I can find an excuse to wear a cute sundress, or maybe  it will go unpublished and become a gift for one of the many upcoming birthdays I have ti start thinking about.

As my weekend comes to an end ( it really wasn't long enough) I'm going to make more of an effort to finish cleaning up the old studio so that it can turned into a more useable space.  I received several new art pieces for my birthday earlier this month and I will be displaying them in my next post.  I have realized  I have some pretty talented friends!

Thanks for stopping by and as always I appreciate your input and your feedback

2 comments:

  1. It never fails to amaze me how creators of all types manage to run into the same obstacles. Flighty muses, flighty attention spans, managing time...all in an effort to do more of what we love. I feel I'm a step behind you these days, but also getting to a place where I can allow myself the time to sort through my creative space and get some things organized. I've been all about making "things", but making space is important too. It unclutters our brains, right? So proud of you for finishing what you started. I'm following your lead ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. FAIL------since this post I have done absolutely nothing to get the loft any cleaner, matter of fact I added to the mess. I haven't finished any of my found projects or my reclaimed door message center project, but my hubby's truck had custom digi-camo seat covers, I have a new swim suit and a new dress and a new lace shrug type thing and I have a couple other patterns cute out. I think I missed my own message about finishing what I start before moving on. Oh Well...I'm an artist damnitt and in this part of my life I can be a little flighty and unorganized!

    ReplyDelete